I spent a ridiculous amount of time on this list. There were a few that I knew beyond doubt would make it, but I had a tremendous amount of difficulty narrowing it down to the standard 10.
I don’t expect everyone ( or even anyone!) to agree with this list in its entirety. But I need to choose albums I feel in my soul and in my gut. Ones that speak to me in ways I can’t forget. So that’s just what I’ve done.
10. Corinne Bailey Rae: The Heart Speaks in Whispers.
9. Anders Osborne: Flower Box
8. Nic Cave and the Bad Seeds: Skeleton Key
7. John Doe: The Westerner
6. Sturgill Stimpson: A Sailors Guide to Earth
5. Leonard Cohen: You Want It Darker
4. David Bowie: Blackstar
3. Dinosaur Jr. : Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not
2. Bob Mould: Patch the Sky
1.Drive-By Truckers: American Band.
As a side note, My top 3 this year might fit on a list of my top records of the decade so far. American Band most certainly would. If you listen to anything on this list, at least take a real listen to that one. The beauty in it will floor you.